Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 1 - EAT FEAR







Okay...woke up in a bit of a surreal state...is this really D-Day? Oh yeah. Showered, packed up tent and all my belongings. Oh yeah...all of my belongings...so heavy. Anyhow, packed the car and drove to town where we grabbed a big breakfast and said farewell to Wendy's friends, Sara and Allie. Did a few practice runs in the parking lot and hit the road. It was a bit misty, but not bad. I have had several interesting and bemused looks from passers-by as to my cargo. Touring isn't unusual in this part of the country, but towing your dog is apparently unheard of. I get thumbs up and shouts, but it has been encouraging and fun.

We opted not to go far today...just over 20 miles to make sure our bikes are in check and everything is in working order. We arrived in Seaside and it was really quite cold so we decided to splurge and get a hotel room as a send off present to ourselves. We got a nice double suite with an ocean view on the beach. We can see the Goonies mountain in the distance from the scene at the end of the movie. Took a stroll around town, bought some Italian meatball subs and salads and relaxed. I took a dip in the hot tub and sauna and took a late run on the beach with Liam amidst several bonfires. It was beautiful.

We also celebrated Liam's 1st Birthday by getting him some rainbow sherbert and a candle. Looking forward to Day 2, but am expecting 3 moderately annoying climbs, but the downward coasting makes it worth it!

Our theme today was EAT FEAR. We knew we could do it...and we did. Lovin' the moment. Day 2 is gorgeous out...I'll try to update and add pics soon.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement and notes. =)

4 comments:

Matthew P said...

Congrats on the start of your journey!! We have found our way over from Tour de Dog. Good luck and know that we are out here pulling for you.

regentfan said...

Elizabeth,
Notre Dame High School is behind you 200%!
Keep us posted on your adventures!
ND Faculty and staff!

whest said...

Don't know if this will come through, but your brother is sending you a note. I'm enjoying the easy life ,here, in ol' Virginny with my legs propped and no strain of muscle spasms from steep inclines! If I get the urge I may bike a good, leisurely five miles! Keep lil' dickweed in line
:-) Whestie

Amelia Hamilton said...

Off you go. I'm so excited for you and look forward to hearing about it as you go. Give Liam birthday kisses from me!