Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day 42 - Interstate Madness


Whoever thought it was a good idea to put someone traveling at 11mph on a highway next to semi-trucks and loggers going 75mph+ is an idiot...or has a sick sense of humor. Riding on the Interstate 80 was NOT scenic, nor stress-free and the gravel on the side of the shoulder made it a leap of faith to survive. Liam was vocalizing what I was feeling and when we arrived at Walcott we took a slight break and a breather before heading onto the quieter, 130.

After about 35 miles I took a roadside lunch break and was laying on a blanket when Wendy and a State Trooper simultaneously appeared. He asked me if I was alright and I replied that I just needed some nourishment and was taking a break. Wendy, however, was in a bit of distress. Her armadillo tires have disappointed her yet again. She somehow got a rather large gash in her rear tire and doesn't have a spare. Fortunately, the trooper towed us into town 8 miles away. He took Wendy and some of my stuff while I pedaled on since he couldn't fit us both in one trip.

There isn't a bike shop for 200+ miles and a patch job probably won't work, especially since we are in no man's land and tomorrow is Sunday. I have a spare tire, but Wendy is too concerned to use it as it is considerably different from her current armadillos. It could throw the balance off. I probably wouldn't use it either.

We have decided to send out an SOS and her mom and step-dad are going to come get us. We'll make the necessary repairs and then we will backtrack to conquer Hoosier Pass and the Rockies.

In the meantime, why not stay at a motel?

Went to the 24/7 hot springs. Smells like egg-butt and beer. Seems to be the local dating scene. Very interesting. Oh yeah.

No comments: